Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Is MAPSS good for history? Part II: Thesis to Ph.D.

So in case I haven't done the subject to death, a little more on whether MAPSS is a good idea for a history scholar, this time directly related to those intending to go on to the Ph.D. because if you're not, well, it shouldn't really matter if MAPSS is good for "history" so much as "preparing me for real-life applications of the social sciences or whatever else my path will be next."

I know, it's probably ridiculous to take advice from someone NOT interested in getting a Ph.D., but hear me out anyway because I have applied for four Ph.D. programs in my past and resolved to never apply for another Ph.D. program in my future.

The way to get into a Ph.D. program is to have a viable, original, well-considered research plan. In a nutshell, a Ph.D. application is NOT about saying "Let me come be a perpetual student because I love learning and I'm scared of the real world!" It's not even about saying "I love history and can't imagine my life about it, and I'm interested in the University of Lower Slobbovia because I love the history of textile production and you have one of the world's best departments on textiles!"

Instead, your Ph.D. application should say "In my work at the University of Lower Slobbovia, I will examine how the technological revolution in Lower Slobbovian municipalities affected the crash of the textile industry, with a focus on the introduction of the mobile phone to washcloth factory workers."

And it's much, much better if you can say "During my year at the University of Chicago, I was able to conduct a preliminary exploration of rebellions in washcloth factories, which will inform my further work at the University of Lower Slobbovia," especially if you can include an excerpt from your related thesis as your writing sample.

Because the thing about Ph.D. programs is that they want specifics. They want you to know exactly what you're going to study, why, and msot of all, why it's important. If you applied to the UChicago History department and found yourself placed in MAPSS instead, chances are good that you have a lot of potential as a scholar, but not a clear vision of what comes next.

If you're hoping to go on, get your doctorate, and became a world-famous professor, then you need to spend your MAPSS year developing the project pitch that is going to have universities throwing money at you and begging for your presence. That's a lot easier if you take four classes in your subject area and have a creepily close relationship with your thesis advisor, who spends her lunch hour twice a month helping you fine-tune your goals and giving you mountains of suggested reading material.

But it's not at all impossible to turn out a bangin' thesis on a topic that interests you without such close supervision (although I really recommend getting your advisor, preceptor, or favorite professor to sit down and have a talk with you about turning it into a viable proposal for Ph.D. research.)

The important takeaway here is that MAPSS is going to look good when you apply for Ph.D. programs. It just is. But for best results and offers of funding from your most unattainable schools, you need to put MAPSS to work right from the beginning, use your year to strategize about what comes next, and make your future school an offer they can't refuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment